Brampton boxer Josh Wale could be just one win away from a world title shot, the Chronicle can reveal.
The 30-year-old is hopeful the people of Barnsley will be able to cheer him on to more glory with the possibility that his arranged fight with IBF Inter-Continental bantamweight champion Mzuvukile Magwaca, from South Africa, can be held at the Metrodome on October 5. Negotiations are ongoing between Wale's promoter Stefy Bull and Magwaca's representatives as to where the fight can be staged with there also being a possibility it could be held in South Africa.
But Wale hopes to test himself against the unbeaten man in Barnsley. He told the Chronicle: "I have told Stefy to do everything in his power to get the fight at the Metrodome.There is an issue with South African TV but we want to go on that date. We have got to come up with the money but I would be willing to take a pay cut to have it in Barnsley.
"It would be such a huge thing for the town and I'd be so proud to have a massive homecoming and get the people of Barnsley behind me."
Wale has surpassed all other Barnsley boxers in history by winning and defending the British title and nobody from the town has ever challenged at world level. With both he and Magwaca in the top 15 with the IBF, it would also be classed as a world title eliminator for Puerto Rican Emmanuel Rodriguez's world title. Magwaca was shot earlier this year during a robbery at his home but Wale's camp have received assurances that he will be fit to fight later on in the year.
Wale would have to vacate his British title to take the fight. He said: "You do not leave the IBF waiting, this is the bigtime of boxing. It would be hard to give up the British but I might have to strike while the iron is hot. This is life-changing and, if it was ever going to happen, then it's got to happen now."
Full story in today's Chronicle