Barnsley’s 29-match unbeaten run at Oakwell in league games came to an end with a 3-1 home defeat to Luton Town who scored all their goals in the first 31 minutes. 

Luton netted in the second and fifth minutes then added another just after the half-hour mark as the Reds played very poorly in the first half. The home side were much better after the break and replied through Mallik Wilks but eventually were beaten. 

The Reds had not lost in 29 league games at Oakwell since March 2018, a run that lasted 545 days. They have now not won in five games, losing four, since the opening day win over Fulham. 

Cauley Woodrow was still injured but there were two changes to the side that lost 2-0 at Birmingham City on Tuesday. Dani Pinillos replaced Ben Williams at left-back and Mallik Wilks came in for Conor Chaplin. Mamadou Thiam played up front on his own with Mike Bahre just behind him in a 4-4-1-1 formation. 

Barnsley were firmly second best in the first half, shell-shocked by their disastrous start, and – although they had a couple of chances – the rampant visitors could have been further ahead at the break. 

In Text Promo Image

Jacob Butterfield, who played 100 games for the Reds after coming through their academy, blasted a 20-yard strike into the bottom left corner with just 80 seconds on the clock after Bambo Diaby blocked an Andrew Shinnie effort inside the box following a good move down the right flank.

It was 2-0 in the fifth minute when goalkeeper Sami Radlinger missed a cross from the left, leaving his goal exposed, and the ball was passed across the six-yard box by ex-Red James Bree for James Collins to turn in from close range. 

Radlinger prevented a third goal in the 18th minute with an excellent save using his left foot to divert wide a Collins effort which was a redirection of a shot by another former Barnsley player Ryan Tunnicliffe following a good run down the right by Kazenga Lua Lua. 

Radlinger also denied Harry Cornick from a tight angle on the left of the box then fumbled a shot by Bree and had to scramble to gather the ball and stop it being turned in by waiting Luton attackers. 

It was 3-0 on 31 minutes when Cornick smashed in a powerful left-footed strike from 15 yards out after a Shinnie free-kick from the left was not cleared properly. 

Wilks thought he had pulled one back when his header following Cameron McGeehan’s corner was clawed out by Simon Sluga with the Barnsley forward claiming it went over the line. Thomas then blazed over from just inside the area on the right after bringing down a cross by Alex Mowatt.

Stendel made two changes at the break, bringing on left-back Williams for Pinillos and introducing winger Jordan Green at right-back for Mads Andersen with Toby Sibbick moving from the right to centre-back. 

The home fans were extremely loud for their team when the match restarted after the interval, and were almost rewarded when Thiam narrowly headed wide from a McGeehan corner. Thiam then forced Sluga into a good save, diving to his left, after Thomas won the ball off Luke Bolton and played the Frenchman in on the left of the box. 

Luton thought they had a fourth when a free-kick was headed down to Collins who volleyed in but the offside flag was raised. Thiam then had a third chance of the second half when he latched onto a long ball from Bambo Diaby on the left of the box but Sluga saved the shot from a tight angle. 

Diaby had to leave the field through injury midway through the second half and was replaced by Aapo Halme. The Reds got the goal their second half performance had warranted on 72 minutes when Wilks fired in a low shot from close range after a good low cross from the left by Mowatt. It was his first goal for the club.  

Sluga had to dive to his left to push away a long-range low effort by Mowatt whose resulting corner was headed narrowly wide by Wilks. Thiam had another chance in the 89th minute but blazed over the bar 12 yards out after good work on the right by Green and Thomas. 

Barnsley (4-4-1-1): Radlinger; Sibbick, Andersen (Green HT), Diaby (Halme 67mins), Pinillos (Williams HT); Thomas, McGeehan, Mowatt, Wilks; Bahre; Thiam. Unused: Collins, Schmidt, Oduor, Chaplin. Yellow cards: Diaby, Bahre.  Goals: Wilks 72. 

Luton: Sluga; Bolton, Pearson, Bradley, Bree (Galloway 90+3mins); Tunnicliffe, Shinnie, Butterfield; LuaLua (Mpanzu 82mins), Collins, Cornick (Lee 85).  Unused: Shea, Mpanzu, Moncur, Brown, Galloway, Jones.  Yellow cards: Lua Lua.  Goals: Butterfield 2, Collins 5, Cornick 31. 

  • 15:03pm
    Cameron McGeehan gets the Reds underway.
  • 15:04pm
    0 Barnsley make tentative progress down the right, but it's out for a throw-in taken by ex-Red James Bree, at left-back for the Hatters.
  • 15:05pm
    2 Jacob Butterfield puts the visitors one up in just 80 seconds.
  • 15:07pm
    The former Red rifled the ball home from outside the box after a shot was blocked by Bambo Diaby and the ball came out to him.
  • 15:07pm
    4 James Collins taps the ball in from close range after a cross from the right wasn't dealt with. A mountain to climb for the home side here.
  • 15:08pm
    5 Cameron McGeehan tries to spark an attack down the left, but his ball to Dani Pinillos is overhit and goes out for a goal kick.
  • 15:11pm
    7 The ball is played upfield towards Thiam and Wilks up front, and comes to Alex Mowatt, but his ball to midfield partner McGeehan is inaccurate and McGeehan concedes a free kick with a wild swing.
  • 15:13pm
    9 James Bree feeds a good through ball down the left to Kazenga LuaLua, but the winger gives away a foul as he meets Bambo Diaby on the edge of the box. Another dangerous moment for the Reds defence, who look rattled.
  • 15:14pm
    11 Luke Thomas sends a cross from the left directly to Simon Sluga, as he tried to find Mamadou Thiam on the far post. A little better from the Reds, but they've still not tested Luton's back four.
  • 15:15pm
    12 A ball from deep is collected well on the right by Toby Sibbick, who manages to turn and cross with his left. It's collected by Thiam, but the striker can't get a shot away and the ball is cleared.
  • 15:18pm
    15 Toby Sibbick gives away a free kick after bringing down LuaLua, who had beaten the defender after collecting a long ball.
  • 15:19pm
    15 Sonny Bradley gets his head on the free kick and it's deflected out for a corner, which Andrew Shinnie steps up to take.
  • 15:19pm
    16 Sami Radlinger collects the corner and throws the ball well up the pitch for Mamadou Thiam to chase, but it's collected by Simon Sluga.
  • 15:21pm
    17 Sami Radlinger with a good save from James Collins, who had collected Shinnie's off-target shot. The keeper did well to spread himself and get his foot on the shot.
  • 15:23pm
    19 Some good pressure from Mike Bahre forces Sluga to hook the ball for a home corner.
  • 15:24pm
    21 Barnsley are putting a bit more pressure on after their horror start, with Sluga again fluffing a clearance under pressure from Mamadou Thiam this time. The Reds will want to make this count.
  • 15:27pm
    23 Alex Mowatt strikes a well-hit effort towards goal but it's over the bar, after the midfielder collected the ball 35 yards out from Mike Bahre.
  • 15:29pm
    25 James Collins gets a shot off after LuaLua and Ryan Tunnicliffe combine on the left. It's well held by Radlinger, which sparks a counter attack but Mallik Wilks scuffs his shot from inside the box.
  • 15:30pm
    27 Another corner for the visitors after Jacob Butterfield knocks a free kick down the right for Harrry Cornick to chase.
  • 15:31pm
    Ex Barnsley captain Jacob Butterfield opened the scoring
  • 15:31pm
    28 Sami Radlinger forced into another save, this time from ex-Red Matty Pearson who struck a shot from just inside the box after the corner.
  • 15:32pm
    29 Kazenga LuaLua is tripped on the left and the Hatters get a free kick, and a good chance to cross the ball into the Reds' box.
  • 15:33pm
    30 Harry Cornick hammers the ball home after the free kick isn't properly cleared.
  • 15:36pm
    33 Mallik Wilks charges down the left wing and wins the Reds a corner.
  • 15:38pm
    34 Wilks gets on the end of Cameron McGeehan's corner and forces a save from Simon Sluga. A few of the Reds players thought it was over the line when the keeper saved, but the goal isn't given.
  • 15:39pm
    36 There's a break in play as the Hatters keeper receives treatment. Barnsley will be looking to regroup after what has been a shocking first half.
  • 15:41pm
    38 Jacob Butterfield collects the ball from a throw-in on the right, and hits a left-footed effort towards goal. It swerves out but the referee gives a corner for a deflection off Mike Bahre's foot.
  • 15:43pm
    40 Bambo Diaby booked for a trip on Kazenga LuaLua on the visitors' left side.
  • 15:44pm
    41 Andrew Shinnie takes a crack at goal from the free kick, but it's over the bar.
  • 15:46pm
    43 Kazenga LuaLua is booked for a handball on the edge of Barnsley's box.
  • 15:48pm
    44 Luke Thomas with possibly the Reds' best effort on goal. Mike Bahre won the ball deep in the opposition half and played it to Alex Mowatt, who advanced towards goal and found the winger free in the box. He cut inside but his left-footed strike was just wide.
  • 15:48pm
    3 minutes added time.
  • 15:51pm
    47 Mallik Wilks is judged to have handballed after trying to turn Alex Mowatt's long ball into the path of Cameron McGeehan.
  • 15:51pm
    HALF-TIME: And that's the last action in what has been a very poor half for Barnsley.
  • 16:08pm
    Luton Town are the first team out for the second half, and will be kicking off imminently.
  • 16:09pm
    Dani Pinillos and Mads Andersen are taken off at half-time.
  • 16:10pm
    SUB ON
    They're replaced by Ben Williams and Jordan Green. Green will play at right back, with Sibbick moving to centre-back and Williams in the left-back role.
  • 16:11pm
    46 The visitors force a corner, with Andrew Shinnie taking. Alex Mowatt hooks it clear for a counter attack.
  • 16:12pm
    46 The counter attack is stopped by Matty Pearson and Luton Town get a free kick.
  • 16:13pm
    48 Barnsley win a corner after some good play down the left. Toby Sibbick finds space and gets his head on it, but it's wide of goal.
  • 16:15pm
    50 Another good move from the Reds as Mamadou Thiam works his way through the centre of the pitch and finds Luke Thomas. Thomas squares it to Alex Mowatt in the box, and the ball rolls out to Cameron McGeehan whose shot is blocked and collected by Simon Sluga.
  • 16:16pm
    51 Barnsley have started the half much sprightlier than they did the first.
  • 16:18pm
    53 Mamadou Thiam forces a good save with a powerful left-footed drive after being played in by Luke Thomas. The ball comes out to Jordan Green, whose shot is blocked for a corner. Finally something for the home fans to get excited about.
  • 16:20pm
    55 Mike Bahre in the book for a trip on Kazenga LuaLua, who has been a handful. The winger was advancing towards goal and needed to be stopped.
  • 16:20pm
    56 The visitors put the ball in the net after a well-worked free kick routine, but play is pulled back for offside. A let off for the Reds.
  • 16:22pm
    58 Kazenga LuaLua picks the ball up from the keeper's free kick and fires a half-volley towards goal, but it's narrowly wide.
  • 16:25pm
    60 Mamadou Thiam receives a long ball from Bambo Diaby, getting ahead of Luke Bolton and squeezing a left-footed shot towards goal. Another good chance is well saved by Sluga.
  • 16:28pm
    63 Bambo Diaby is receiving treatment after being seemingly wrestled to the ground by James Bree deep on the left.
  • 16:30pm
    65 The centre-back is finally off the pitch after a long break in play.
  • 16:31pm
    66 Diaby can't continue.
  • 16:31pm
    SUB ON
    He's replaced by Aapo Halme.
  • 16:33pm
    69 Kazenga LuaLua is tripped by Luke Thomas for a free kick which Andrew Shinnie will take.
  • 16:34pm
    69 Shinnie's ball into the box from the left goes past everyone and out for a goal kick.
  • 16:36pm
    71 Mallik Wilks slots home after an Alex Mowatt cross from the left wing.
  • 16:37pm
    Mamadou Thiam was found well by Mowatt on the left wing and the midfielder powered up the pitch to receive his return pass. The mood at Oakwell has been somewhat lifted, and it's deserved for the Reds who have been much better this half.
  • 16:39pm
    74 Two corners in a row for the Reds, followed by a free kick as Luke Thomas is tripped on the edge of the box.
  • 16:41pm
    76 The free kick is cleared and Ben Williams does well to head it back to Radlinger before James Collins can capitalise.
  • 16:42pm
    77 Simon Sluga is drawing a lot of ire from the home fans for time-wasting at nearly every opportunity.
  • 16:43pm
    Mallik Wilks was booked for an earlier foul.
  • 16:44pm
    79 A free kick from deep is headed on target by Sonny Bradley, but it's comfortable for Radlinger.
  • 16:45pm
    80 Alex Mowatt swings his right at the ball from a way out, and forces Sluga to save at full stretch.
  • 16:45pm
    81 Kazenga LuaLua
  • 16:45pm
    SUB ON
    81 Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu
  • 16:46pm
    81 Alex Mowatt's corner is turned onto the back post by Mallik Wilks, but Cameron McGeehan can't quite stretch to meet it.
  • 16:48pm
    84 Harry Cornick
  • 16:48pm
    SUB ON
    84 Elliott Lee
  • 16:50pm
    85 Barnsley have a corner cleared out to Jordan Green, but the full-back can't get any form of control on it and it's out for a goal kick.
  • 16:52pm
    88 Ben Williams wins a throw well up the pitch after a one-two with Mamadou Thiam.
  • 16:53pm
    88 Mamadou Thiam blazes it well over the bar after some good work from Luke Thomas and Jordan Green on the right. The forward was in a good position in the centre of the box, but the ball looked to come off his shin.
  • 16:54pm
    6 minutes added time.
  • 16:55pm
    90 There have been a few stoppages this half, which is the reason for the length of time added. Barnsley are still trying for a second, and they have enough time to get it.
  • 16:57pm
    90+2 James Bree
  • 16:57pm
    SUB ON
    90+2 Brendan Galloway
  • 17:01pm
    FULL-TIME: Barnsley 1, Luton Town 3. A much better second half from the Reds as they clawed one goal back, but their first half performance left a lot to do.