GOALS from Daryl Dike, Alex Mowatt and Carlton Morris saw Barnsley record their sixth successive win for the first time in more than a century in the second tier against Queens Park Rangers.

The 3-1 away win at least temporarily puts Barnsley into sixth place, with a game in hand over the teams either side of them.

It's also the first time they've recorded three successive away wins since 1996-97.

Barnsley came into the game at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium in superb form, with five straight wins coming at the end of seven unbeaten games.

QPR had won their last three at home, including impressive victories over Bournemouth and Brentford.

But the Reds historically haven't had much luck at the Rs' home ground - their first game after lockdown ended in June, which kickstarted their astonishing survival in the Championship, the first win for the visitors since 1950.

Head coach Valerien Ismael's first match in charge was this season's reverse fixture which saw Barnsley come out 3-0 winners.

In Text Promo Image

He's since compiled a brilliant record of 16 wins in 23 league games.

And heading back to West London, where they kicked off their winning run - at Brentford's Community Stadium on February 14 - the Reds went ahead halfway through the first half against Mark Warburton's men.

Mowatt's corner from the right was headed in by Dike, who rose fastest and highest to score his second Reds goal on 23 minutes.

The hosts responded immediately, Charlie Austin capitalising after Brad Collins parried Yoann Barbet's snapshot and it fell to the experienced forward.

The close-range strike was the fourth goal of the campaign for the January loanee from West Brom.

But as quick as they'd conceded the lead, Barnsley claimed it back again through Mowatt's sublime free kick into the top right corner.

Each of QPR's two forwards had good opportunities in the opening exchanges.

Austin was first up in the fourth minute, but his effort hit the crossbar from a tight angle.

Todd Kane played Lyndon Dykes into the box with a low cross in the ninth minute, but the striker slid it wide.

Conor Chaplin played a neat ball in for Dike 14 minutes in but the striker could only win a corner.

Cauley Woodrow was then picked out on the far post five minutes later by Callum Brittain's cross from the right, but his effort was blocked.

Romal Palmer fired at Seny Dieng's goal from Dike's ball in, but the 'keeper blocked the strike with his legs, before Brittain tried a long range effort on 33 minutes that sailed high and wide.

On 37 minutes the hosts thought they might snatch an equaliser from Elias Chair's right-wing dead ball, but Dominic Ball was judged to be offside.

Austin's strike after a long throw in the 39th minute was well-blocked by Toby Sibbick.

A classy flowing move down the left side ended in Palmer firing wide from the edge of the box in the first and only additional minute of the first half.

Valerien Ismael made his now-familiar triple substitution on 56 minutes, and less than a minute later Morris scored for the Reds' third and his fourth since signing in January.

The striker latched onto a long ball down the right by Mowatt and advanced into the box, slotting the ball under Dieng.

The other two of those substitutes combined when Victor Adeboyejo fired over on 66 minutes after a long throw from Dominik Frieser.

Sam Field tried to lift an effort over Collins who had rushed out to head the ball clear a couple of minutes later.

Frieser curled an effort wide of the far post after Morris laid it off to the left of the box.

Mowatt then almost grabbed a second as Frieser fed the midfielder through in a pacey counter, but his effort was blocked by Dieng.

QPR continued to attack - mainly through long balls attempting to beat the Reds backline - but aside from a late Collins save from Field, the Reds held firm.

Barnsley (3-4-3): Collins; Andersen, Helik, Sibbick; Styles (J Williams 90), Mowatt, Palmer (Halme 70), Brittain; Woodrow (Morris 56), Dike (Adeboyejo 56), Chaplin (Frieser 56). Goals: Dike 23, Mowatt 29, Morris 57. Unused: Walton, Kane, Oduor, Sollbauer.

Queens Park Rangers (3-4-1-2): Dieng; Barbet, Cameron, Dickie; Wallace, Johansen, Ball (Field 67), Kane (Adomah 66); Chair (Kelman 87); Dykes (Willock 66), Austin (Bonne 87). Goal: Austin 27. Yellow card: Dickie. Unused: Lumley, Thomas, Kakay, Hamalainen.

Referee: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire).