A BELOVED pet died as a result of ingesting what is believed to be rat poison on a popular dog-walking route last week - leading residents to warn other owners of potentially fatal danger.

Walkers on the Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) believed the poison had been spread by the entrance to The Willows estate, Oxspring.

Penistone West Coun Hannah Kitching has reported the issue to the council’s public rights of way team.

In light of the heartbreaking death, Jane Brennan, 58 - a trustee for West Yorkshire Dog Rescue whose dog died as a result of ingesting poison on the TPT in the first lockdown last year - is urging awareness.

Jane’s nine-year-old dog Ralph - a ‘lovely’ Yorkshire terrier - ingested ‘commercial grade’ rat poison on the trail between Penistone and Thurlstone and died soon after.

In Text Promo Image

“He had picked something up before I could get to him to stop him, but obviously I didn’t know what,” Jane said.

“Then within an hour he became really poorly, we took him the vet, but 20 minutes later he was gone.

“For someone to see their own dog foaming at the mouth and in distress, then to have a massive heart attack, it was just heartbreaking.

“Dogs are a lot of people’s lifelines and for some older people, they are the only company they might have.

“This poison literally destroys their insides, once they’ve ingested it, there’s nothing vets can do.

“I know some people don’t like dogs, but this is taking it too far.

“It’s not something I want anyone else to go through.”