CONOR Grant endured a ‘really nervous wait’ on deadline day before finally securing a ‘massive opportunity’ to play at Barnsley until the end of the season.

The 22-year-old midfielder signed on loan from League Two MK Dons until the end of the season with an option to buy then came on for the final ten minutes at Bolton on Saturday.

He had not heard of Barnsley’s interest, and had options to move to Scotland, but received a call from Reds boss Neill Collins on deadline day.

Grant told the Chronicle: “It was a bit mad. It was a really nervous wait to see if it got done. I was on to my agent saying ‘is it done?’ I was delighted it went through in the end.

“I was just told to ‘get yourself up tomorrow, meet the lads and staff and we’ll go from there.’

“It’s been a lot but I am getting settled in and I have enjoyed it.”

The Irish attacking midfielder had not featured for the Dons since New Year’s Day and had only started eight league games this season.

“It’s a massive opportunity for me.

“It has been frustrating not playing but it is what it is.

“I am here now and going to give everything I have for Barnsley.”

He added: “I thought I would be a big part of getting the club back into League One. But it didn’t really pan out like that.”

Grant started for MK against the Reds in the penultimate game of last season when the Dons lost a 4-1 lead in a 4-4 draw – a vital result in their relegation.

“It was a tough day, to be honest.

“Had we won that, we would still be in League One.

“It was just a mad game. That’s football and we tried to move from it.”

Grant knows it will be tough to break into Barnsley’s starting midfield three which is currently Luca Connell, Adam Phillips and Herbie Kane.

He said: “It’s going to be hard to get in but it’s something I will try to do every day. I will be pushing the lads if I am not starting.

“Luca Connell was my room-rate from Ireland youth teams. He’s a funny lad and brilliant player. I am happy to have a familiar face around.”

Grant was Young Player of the Year last season when MK were relegated out of League One, having previously spent two years at Rochdale.

His first English club was Sheffield Wednesday where he spent four years but only played one cup game.