Barnsley beat local rivals Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 in their second pre-season friendly under Markus Schopp.

On a very hot day on the Oakwell training pitch, Jordan Williams opened the scoring midway through the first half then Clarke Oduor made it 2-0 with 20 minutes to play.

Schopp said: "It is always important to get a good result but, on the other hand, we are in the third week of pre-season. We had some aims that we wanted to achieve and with the weather we had it was not that easy but I think we are going in the right direction. It was a good test against a good team so I take a lot with me."

Mads Andersen missed the game through a knee injury while Conor Chaplin, Aapo Halme, Dominik Frieser and Victor Adeboyejo were not available with minor injuries.

Michal Helik and Herbie Kane trained before the match but were not involved.

Wednesday had the best of the early exchanges as Jack Walton produced one-on-one saves from Olamide Shodipo, following a swift counter-attack, then Julian Borner after he beat the offside trap following a corner. Walton was then rounded by Josh Windass who shot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Barnsley began to find their rhythm, with summer signing Devante Cole's impressive 20-yard curling effort being touched out of the top fight corner by Cameron Dawson.

But Dawson soon fumbled in Jordan Williams' 25-yard effort, following a good passing move from the Reds.

Barnsley played out from defence and kept the ball on the floor far more than under Valerien Ismael, although they did occasionally use the lofted forward balls on the counter-attack to catch out the opposition which were a staple of the Frenchman's reign.

Just before the break, captain Cauley Woodrow saw a low 25-yard effort touched wide by Dawson after excellent work by Romal Palmer.

Rudi Pache replaced Liam Kitching at the break, then the Owls started the second half well with Callum Paterson being put clean through on the left but firing wide.

Schopp made six changes just after the hour-mark, mainly under 23s, and two combined for the second goal on 70 minutes when Cameron Thompson crossed low from the right to the unmarked Oduor who fired in from close range.

Walton came up with another good save, denying Fisayo Dele-Bashiru who went through one-on-one on the left of the box. Cole shot straight at the Wednesday goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith after a pull-back from Miller then – at the end of a super move involving Thompson, Elliot Simoes, Miller and Ben Williams – Oduor shot straight at the goalkeeper from five yards out.

FIRST HALF: 3-4-3: Walton; Sibbick, Sraha (Arielly 62), Kitching (Pache HT); Brittain (Miller 62), Styles (Ritzmaier 62), Palmer (Simoes 62), J Williams (B Williams); Cole, Woodrow (Oduor 62), Morris (Thompson 62).