When planning permission for the construction of the Penny Pie Park gyratory was granted in 2019, a condition was attached requiring an assessment of the impact of the new road on noise levels at homes in the area.
This was to assess which homes would likely be eligible for noise insulation work - under the Noise Insulation Regulations Act - which would be paid for by Barnsley Council.
In March last year, the council commissioned consultants to carry out the assessment, and more than 50 households were told they may be eligible for noise insulation work.
The council subsequently set aside £700,000 to cover the costs of the insulation.
A required follow up assessment was carried out last autumn by the same consultants using the same criteria and this time it concluded that only two properties were eligible for noise insulation.
The council have written to the owners of the eligible properties to inform them - but Coun Chris Wray says they are refusing to write to the other 50-plus properties to inform them that they are no longer deemed to be eligible.
He told the Chronicle: “It’s very surprising that two separate noise assessments have reached such different conclusions, when what is effectively the same data was used in both.
“The gyratory was built as per the plans and both assessments have used traffic predicted for 2037 - the question is why only two out of over 50 properties will now be offered noise insulation.
“This will save the council over £600,000, but nothing is done for the residents who are already suffering the effects of this gyratory.
“It’s already disappointing that the council is only offering the bare minimum they are legally forced to offer, rather than doing the best they can for residents, but their current actions are even worse.
“The council are now refusing the write to the residents that are no longer deemed eligible for noise insulation, despite being more than willing to write to them 18 months ago to tell them they probably would be eligible.
“The council say these residents should find the answer themselves on the council website, with no consideration for those residents who are digitally excluded.”
Coun Wray said he has now written to those who won’t be eligible, claiming it is the ‘least they deserve’.
“These residents deserve the courtesy of a letter explaining what has changed,” he added.
“I am so appalled by the way the council has treated these residents that I have personally delivered a letter to each affected home telling them of the decision and how to challenge it.
“It is the least they deserve.”
Coun Robert Frost, cabinet spokesperson for regeneration and culture, said: “Following analysis carried out by AECOM on the completed gyratory, it’s positive news that the impact of the scheme will not affect as many buildings as initially predicted.
“We contacted all residents, explaining we would notify those owners or occupiers eligible for the scheme.
“This letter explained the Noise Insulation Scheme process, advising that further analysis would be carried out and any affected property owners would then be notified.
“Those affected have now all been informed.
“In line with the Noise Insulation Regulations, owners of affected properties need to respond by July 31 2023.
“Funds allocated for the scheme will be reviewed once the work assessments have been completed. “We have also updated the information about the Noise Insulation Scheme on www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/regeneration/key-projects/.”