Barnsley completed their pre-season games with a 2-1 win at home to League Two Crewe Alexandra.

James Norwood netted an early goal then Kacper Lopata struck just after half-time, before the visitors pulled one back.

The Reds were on top for most of the game and should have won by more – with Norwood, Nicky Cadden and Callum Styles particularly impressive.

It was a first game at Oakwell for Neill Collins as head coach, a week before the League One season begins there against Port Vale.

Luca Connell missed the game through illness and Adam Phillips was not involved as he is suspended for the first three competitive matches, with Jon Russell starting after returning from international duty with Jamaica.

Jordan Williams played on the right of the back three with new signing Corey O’Keeffe at right wing-back.

The visitors almost took the lead in the second minute after a slick move opened Barnsley up and led to Rio Adebisi forcing a good one-on-one save out of Liam Roberts.

Norwood scored in the third minute, finding the bottom left corner from just outside the box after Nicky Cadden had impressively passed to Callum Styles who surged forward and played in the striker.

Norwood almost added another seconds later when he won the ball in the box amid claims of a foul then goalkeeper Harvey Davies made a good one-on-one block.

Cadden then cut in from the left wing wing, swapped good passes with Norwood and was clean through but, using his weaker right foot, could not beat Davies one-on-one.

O’Keeffe blasted over from about 15 yards out after Norwood latched onto a pass on the right of the box and cut the ball back.

Devante Cole then sprinted past two Crewe defenders but his shot from just inside the box was straight at the goalkeeper and saved. Styles shot over from outside the box after impressively spinning away from a defender.

Lopata scored the second goal less than two minutes after the break when he headed in a left-wing free-kick by Cadden.

Seconds later another cross from Cadden, this time a low ball whipped into the box, should have been turned in by Cole but he touched it wide six yards out.

Crewe pulled one back on 71 minutes when a lofted ball over the top was brought down by Shilow Tracey who got away from Liam Kitching and finished through Roberts’ legs.

Tracey almost levelled but shot over the bar from a tight angle on the right of the box. Roberts easily saved a deflected free-kick in the 90th minute.

Barnsley: Roberts; Willliams, Lopata, Kitching; O’Keeffe (Cotter HT), Kane, Styles, Russell (Chapman HT), Cadden (Winfield 72); Cole (Shaw 72), Norwood (Watters HT).

Subs: Killip, Bland, James.