A superb strike by Herbie Kane on 69 minutes afforded ten-men Barnsley a point from their encounter with Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road after they had trailed at half-time to a Joe Pigott penalty.

Sam Cosgrove was booked on 89 minutes for a reckless challenge and two minutes picked up another yellow for dissent.

The draw ended Barnsley’s hopes of creating a new club record of six successive away wins but they will be satisfied with the draw in a lively and entertaining match.

Barnsley made two enforced changes from the starting line-up that won at Exeter City in their previous match. Goalkeeper Ben Killip was given his Barnsley league debut replacing the injured Liam Roberts whilst Callum Styles sustained an injury during the week playing for Hungary and was replaced by Josh Benson.

It was the first time that the teams had met since the 2014-15 campaign and only the fifth occasion since 1969-70 when the Londoners, who won the old Division Three that season, recorded a double over The Reds.

The first-half proved an entertaining affair with both teams playing neat and controlled football.

It was the home side who cut out the early running with striker Pigott twice threatening. It took Barnsley 15 minutes to mount their first serious attack when Devante Cole won the Reds' first corner. Kane’s set-piece was clawed away by Os 'keeper Sol Brynn who then pushed away the follow-up shot by Nicky Cadden.

The deadlock was finally broken on 26 minutes when referee Peter Wright adjudged that defender Jamie McCart, who played six matches for Orient last season on loan from Rotherham, had handled a shot by Ruel Sotiriou and pointed to the penalty spot despite vehement protests from a number of Barnsley players.

Pigott stepped up to calmly slot the penalty low into the left-hand corner to double his tally of goals for the season.

Cadden and Benson worked hard to create chances for the visitors but Cole and Max Watters were frustrated on a number of occasions by Orient’s defensive high line.

Watters eschewed a golden opportunity within a minute of the second-half starting. Cole delivered a cross from the right flank to the far post and with Brynn stranded, Watters stabbed the ball wide from five yards.

Killip kept his side’s hopes alive when he tipped over a 20-yard scorcher from Ethan Galbraith and a persistent spell of pressure for the visitors pressure was finally rewarded on 69 minutes with a stunning goal by man-of-the-match Kane.

The midfielder exchanged passes with Cole before finding the roof of the net from 20 yards.

And he was only denied a second a minute later by Dan Happe’s outstretched boot. Barnsley were now dominating matters with their opponents relying on resolute and sometimes desperate defending.

Brynn saved from substitute John McAtee and Jon Russell as Barnsley went in search of the winner but they found themselves reduced to ten men towards the end when substitute Cosgrove after picking up two yellow cards.

Orient went in search of a late winner but Killip was in reliable form to protect the Tykes hard won point.