With Barnsley set to host seventh-tier Horsham on Friday, we look at some of the Reds' other FA Cup meetings with non-league sides.

Altrincham 1, Reds 0 – November 7, 2015

The biggest shock loss in Barnsley’s recent history.

The Conference club inflicted more pain on Lee Johnson’s Barnsley who were well into an eight-match losing run in League One. Fans were drenched by rain in the open air away end as they watched a dreadful performance.

It proved a turning point for Barnsley as, after re-signing Adam Hammill the following week, they began to improve and would eventually win twice at Wembley and get promoted. Altrincham, who had been looking comfortable in the Conference, slumped badly and were relegated.

The match-winner that day, Damian Reeves, has recently signed for Barnsley team Dearne and District.

Chester 0, Reds 3 – December 16, 2014

After a poor performance in a 0-0 draw at Oakwell with the Conference club, the replay on the Welsh border was live on BT Sport. But Danny Wilson’s side cruised through with a Kane Hemmings goal then a Dale Jennings brace.

Bromsgrove 1, Reds 2 – January 8, 1994

The visitors trailed 1-0 to the Conference side for most of the game, with coach Danny Wilson recounting later that he could see fans in the away end getting ready to throw bricks onto the pitch. But Andy Rammell levelled in the 88th minute then Owen Archdeacon won it in the 90th to leave the amateur hosts in tears.

Reds 1, Caernarfon 0 – January 26, 1987

Allan Clarke’s Barnsley drew 0-0 in Wales but edged the third round replay against the Conference club who had beaten Stockport and York in previous rounds. Roger Wylde scored the winner just after half-time.

Enfield 0, Reds 3 – January 28, 1981

Enfield manager Eddie McClusky called Barnsley a ‘bunch of camels’ before the tie.

Norman Hunter told his side not to rise to the bait but they were embarrassed by a 0-0 draw at home to the Isthmian League champions, with fan violence leading to arrests.

The fourth round replay was played at Tottenham Hotspur’s White Hart Line in front of more than 35,000. Trevor Aylott struck twice and Ronnie Glavin once.

Marine 3, Reds 1 – November 22, 1975

Marine is a name that still sends shivers down the spine of Barnsley fans aged 55 and above. The part-time Cheshire League hosts were 2-0 up after 20 minutes then, after Mick Butler pulled one back, Marine netted a third.

Reds 0, Rhyl 2 – December 21, 1970

After a 0-0 draw in Rhyl then a 1-1 at Oakwell, Old Trafford was selected as a neutral ground for the third match of this second round tie.

A crowd of just 3,000 watched in the famous old ground as schoolboy Eurwyn Davies put Cheshire League Rhyl ahead before Laurie Davies secured the win.

Netherfield 1, Reds 3 – November 14, 1964

Barnsley visited the Kendal-based Lancashire Combination League side, whose star striker Tom Brownlee had scored an astonishing 76 goals the previous season and was already on 20 that campaign.

But he was kept quiet and Barnsley went 3-0 up through Malcolm Graham, Johnny Byrne and George Kerr before a late consolation in the first round tie.

Reds 2, West Auckland 0 – Nov 8, 1961

Barnsley had lost a 3-0 lead in the first game at the part-timers from County Durham whose ground had to be accessed by supporters through a farmyard with cows, which was visible from the pitch.

The visitors had looked certain to go through after Ken Oliver scored twice and Jackie Swindells once. Swindells and Ron Smillie netted in the 2-0 replay win at Oakwell to reach the second round.