BARNSLEY were forced to settle for a cup replay after seventh-tier Horsham came from behind twice to draw 3-3 at Oakwell.
First half goals from Max Watters and Fabio Jalo, either side of two Horsham goals, meant the Reds went into the break 2-2 at half-time.
Mael De Givegney headed the Reds in front just after the hour mark but the away side equalised on 80 minutes through Tom Richards.
Barnsley head coach Neill Collins named a very strong side for the game, with long forward Fabio Jalo the only player to not start a league game for the club so far this season.
Luca Connell made his long-awaited return to the first team squad, 158 days since his last appearance against Sheffield Wednesday in the League One play-off final in May.
It was a quiet opening five minutes at Oakwell, with the only phase of play of any note seeing John McAtee close down Horsham ‘keeper Lewis Carey - but his sliding effort saw the ball deflected out for a throw-in.
It was McAtee again with the first half chance of the game, but his shot from 20 yards was high and wide of the Horsham goal.
It was the on-loan Luton forward again causing issues for the away side on 13 minutes, he managed to break into the box and unleashed a powerful strike which was parried out for a corner.
From the resulting set play, Max Watters headed home to make it 1-0 to the Reds.
It was a well deserved goal and Collins’ side made their dominance pay.
Watters almost made it 2-0 on 19 minutes after some fantastic work from Jalo and Corey O’Keeffe, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.
But the seventh-tier side soon levelled, it was sloppy from the Reds defence who let the home side break and Shamir Fenelon fired past Ben Killip.
It was a great finish, albeit completely against the run of play.
The Reds could have gone back in front just two minutes later.
Owen Dodgson’s free kick found Callum Styles ten yards out but he could only find the cross bar with his volley towards goal.
The Reds continued to pepper Horsham’s goal, on 28 minutes Fabio Jalo had his effort saved by Carey - but no one managed to put home the rebound.
But the away side still came froward sporadically, and Daniel Ajakaiye looked certain to put Horsham in front on 31 minutes but his shot fell nicely for the Barnsley defence.
Horsham were then given a penalty on 38 minutest after O’Keeffe was adjudged to have brought down Ajakaiye.
James Hammond concerted from 12 yards and it looked like the hosts would go in 2-1 down at the break.
But on the stroke of half time Jalo picked up the ball and curled in a sensational effort from outside of the box.
The second half began much like the first, with the Reds on top but unable to create any clear cut chances.
Owen Dodgson had a long range strike parried away on the hour mark, before Luca Connell made his long-awaited return to the first team replacing Herbie Kane.
Two minutes later and Mael De Gevigney put the Reds back in front with a looping header into the far corner.
Barnsley continued to dominate without really testing the Horsham ‘keeper, and nearly got caught on the counter on 70 minutes - but fortunately de Gevigney was back to cover.
The Reds thought they’d gone further in front on 79 minutes after a real goalmouth scramble, before McAtee put the ball into the net.
But referee Ben Toner disallowed the goal.
The away side levelled on 81 minutes.
Substitute Tom Richards rolled the ball into an empty net, sending the travelling fans wild.
Top scorer Devante Cole was brought on for the final five minutes but he made little impact and the game finished 3-3.