BARNSLEY’S proud unbeaten away run came to a shuddering halt when they were beaten 3-0 by Derby County at Pride Park.

A James Collins penalty gave the home side a deserved first half lead and Barnsley’s hopes of staying unbeaten on the road this season were blown away in the second.

They were caught out twice by long free kicks from Derby goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith with Craig Forsyth scoring the second and Collins the third.

Barnsley went close through a Adam Phillips free kick in the first half but did not do enough to trouble Derby’s defence on a disappointing afternoon for the visitors.

Barnsley were facing arguably their toughest away game of the season against a Derby team unbeaten in their last five home matches and the pace and trickery of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing fashioned a half-chance which James Collins put wide in the 10th minute.

Max Watters threatened to break through on Derby’s left but was halted by a well timed tackle from Eiran Cashin who minutes later gave the ball away to Corey O’Keefe which forced Cragi Forsyth to foul the wing back just outside the box.

The free kick was cleared but when Cashin gave away another in the 21st minute, Phillips’s curling effort from 20 yards was turned behind by Joe Wildsmith.

Devante Cole headed wide from the corner and Ben Killip was called into action for the first time in the 24th minute when he beat out a shot from Mendez-Laing.

Killip saved a low drive from Ryan Nyambe after another strong run from Mendez-Laing but Barnsley were behind in the 35th minute.

Tom Barkhuizen swung over a cross from the right and when Collins went down under Jordan Williams's challenge, John Busby pointed to the spot.

Collins took the spot kick and fired it high down the middle past Killip to give Derby a lead their attacking play merited.

Barnsley made a change at the start of the second half with John McAtee replacing Watters but they conceded again in the 48th minute.

A free kick was headed down and the defence failed to track the run of Forsyth who placed a low shot past Killer from 10 yards.

McAtee had a chance to get Barnsley back in the game in the 52nd minute when Cole played him into the box but his shot went just past Wildsmith’s left post.

The game was over in the 63rd minute when Barnsley were caught out again from a long free kick with Forsyth getting in on the left and although Killip saved, Collins chested the rebound over the line.

It could have been worse as Barkhuizen missed a great chance when through on goal and Louie Sibley struck the bar late on.