Barnsley will begin their 2024 fixtures with a New Year's Day clash at home to Wigan Athletic from 3pm.

The Reds are seventh in League One, a point and place off the play-off places, after a 2-2 draw at Peterborough on Friday night.

The Latics are 18th, six points and three places clear of the relegation zone.

Head coach Neill Collins said: “Wigan are very good and very dangerous with the way they play.

“It’s our fourth game in days. The players have given a lot of energy but they are full of confidence and together.

“We can’t wait. The fans were brilliant at Peterborough. We want more of the same on Monday.

“We want to start the New Year right.

The players know they have a rest coming after that game.”

Wigan were deducted eight points earlier in the season for not securing funding, before being bought out by a local businessman. Shaun Maloney’s side wiped that out by collecting ten points from the first four games.

They have won just one of their last nine away league games.

They won 2-0 home to lowly Carlisle United on Friday, ending a run of three straight losses.

The two clubs have met 17 times with Barnsley winning five and losing six.

Wigan have not scored or won in the last three meetings with two 0-0 draws in 2019/20 followed by a 2-0 home loss in August which saw defender Charlie Hughes controversially sent off for a 20th-minute tackle on Devante Cole who then netted along with debutant John McAtee.

Wigan have never lost a league game at Oakwell – drawing three and winning three with the last two finishing 0-0.

Their only away defeat to Barnsley was in the FA Cup in 1954.

Barnsley striker Sam Cosgrove began his career at Wigan, playing just three minutes as a substitute in the League Cup in 2016.

Devante Cole, the Reds top-scorer, was at Wigan for two years between 2018 and 2020 but made just seven substitute appearances.

Barnsley are unbeaten in six home games, winning three and drawing three. After this game, they do not play for 12 games until hosting Bristol Rovers on January 13 and Carlisle three days later.