BARNSLEY are still hunting a left wing-back, and a more experienced midfielder, but no deals are currently thought to be imminent.
The Reds recruited Aaron Leya Iseka from Toulouse on Monday for an undisclosed fee on a four-year deal, following the captures last week of his fellow Belgian striker Obbi Oulare and Burnley midfielder Josh Benson who also signed a four-year deal.
The Oakwell club are understood to be hopeful of two more signings before the window closes on August 31, with a left wing-back and central midfielder thought to be the main priorities.
With Callum Styles now playing in midfield, the Reds’ current left wing-back options include Ben Williams, who missed the whole of last season with injury, and Jordan Williams who started there regularly in the early friendlies but has missed recent games and training through injury.
Clarke Oduor, who Schopp had been using in the front three, played at left wing-back in the friendly at Manchester City on Saturday.
Schopp told the Chronicle: “This is definitely something we have to think about.
“Last season Stylesy played a lot on the left but now he is an option in the middle.
“We need to find a solution that fits the club.
“We are discussing it a lot but there is still nearly a month to go.
“At the end of the month we will see where we are.”
As for central midfield, Schopp has previously said he would like experience in that position following the exit of captain Alex Mowatt to West Bromwich Albion. He currently has Benson and Styles, who are 21, and 22-year-olds Herbie Kane and Romal Palmer.
Asked if he could add experience in the middle, Schopp told the Chronicle: “That is a discussion we are having right now.
“But, to be honest, we have very young players with a lot of quality.
“It is very important that these players have the chance to perform.
“There are some discussions going on but, right now, we have young players who have to step forward.
“I am here to help them.”
There are understood to have been no bids so far this summer for Barnsley’s star players such as Styles, Michal Helik and Cauley Woodrow.
Schopp said: “I am absolutely confident. The guys did really well last year but I am really happy to have them still with us. It’s up to them not to think too much about what will happen next season, they have to help us this season.”
Marcel Ritzmaier left the club yesterday by mutual consent and joined German second tier club SV Sandhausen.
The 28-year-old Austrian midfielder played 22 games after signing in January of last year, then being loaned out last season.
Elliot Simoes’ move to French second tier club AS Nancy is thought to be agreed but is yet to be announced.
The 21-year-old forward is thought to have left Oakwell and moved to France.
Nancy are owned by the same owners as Barnsley while they have former head coach Daniel Stendel and chief executive Gauthier Ganaye.
Simoes joined the Reds from non-league club FC United of Manchester in January 2019. He did not feature under Stendel but played regularly under Gerhard Struber before being taken out of the first team squad by Valerien Ismael who loaned him to League One Doncaster Rovers in January.
The Angola international has played 27 games for the Reds and scored three goals.
No other players are understood to be close to leaving the club but several could in the remainder of the window.
Isaac Christie-Davies, the midfielder who signed last summer from Liverpool, is still waiting for his debut but has been training with the under 23s this summer.
Strikers George Miller, Cameron Thompson and Victor Adeboyejo could be loaned out if they are not involved.
Thompson has signed a one-year extension to his contract.
Schopp said: “He is a player who has to make the next step. Not only him, a couple of others who have to make the step up.
“They will get support from us all and it’s up to them to adapt, to get in and give the best they can do.”