THE ENGLISH transfer window officially opens today with Barnsley’s Callum Styles being linked with a host of clubs.
Although the window officially opens today, deals have been agreed for weeks including the sale of Isaac Christie-Davies to Eupen – the only deal the Reds have done so far this summer.
There are seven weeks until the start of the season on July 30 while the window does not close until the end of August.
Chief executive Khaled El-Ahmad said last week that the club had agreed with some players that it was time for them to move on, and Styles appears to be edging closer to an exit.
He played for Hungary in their famous win over England on Saturday, then again in the 2-1 loss in Italy on Tuesday.
In an interview while on international duty, he said about his Barnsley future: “I spoke with the CEO and he accepts it is time for a new challenge.”
The 22-year-old is a target for all three newly-promoted Premier League clubs, Nottingham Forest, Fulham and Bournemouth – according to national newspapers.
Hungarian giants Ferencvaros are also allegedly interested in the Bury-born midfielder who qualifies for Hungary through his late grandmother.
Turkish giants Besiktas – now managed by former Barnsley head coach Valerien Ismael – are reportedly lining up a bid.
The Reds are going to have make up a loss of roughly £7-8million, due to relegation from the Championship, mainly by the sale of players – although the board have injected £1million of and could add more later in the summer if required.
The Reds have received bids for some players but they are understood to be well below their valuation.
The likes of Styles, Cauley Woodrow, Carlton Morris, Michal Helik, Mads Andersen, Callum Brittain and Brad Collins are thought to be of interest to other clubs. Woodrow and Helik have one year left on their contracts but, while the others’ deals are also due to expire in 2023, the club have an option to add an extra season.
Chairman Neerav Parekh said last week that they would rather a player ran down their contract than leave for a cut price but admitted that, should the Reds struggle to plug the financial hole with sales in the coming months, they may have to accept lower offers than they would like.
Barnsley, in general, will have to sell before they can recruit but insist they could bring in some new players soon because of the board’s cash injection.
El-Ahmad said last week he hoped some new signings would arrive before pre-season starts in full on June 20.
There are understood to be no incoming deals imminent, with the focus mainly on the search for new head coach, but work is being done to identify potential targets and put shortlists together for the positions Barnsley wish to strengthen in.
Midfielder Romal Palmer and striker Victor Adeboyejo were offered new contracts last month but are yet to sign.
El-Ahmad indicated last week that he wanted a decision from the pair before pre-season starts.
Will Hondermarck and Will Lancaster have also been offered new deals.