CONCERNED locals have expressed their disdain over a ‘dangerous’ planning application which would see more than 70 homes placed on the site of a former care home.

Outline planning permission was granted to demolish the Belmont facility, off Lamb Lane, Monk Bretton, and replace it with a residential development of up to 82 homes last year.

The building was erected in the late 1960s and it was originally used as a residential facility for elderly people but in June 1999, Barnsley Council’s asylum and migration service welcomed 180 humanitarian evacuees from Kosovo to the facility which was then called Belmont Induction Centre.

Its last use was as a care home but since its closure several years ago, it’s been a priority patrol spot for police officers responsible for the area due to long-running complaints from councillors and residents.

A reserved matters application which goes into more detail shows plans to demolish an existing farm house and farm buildings, as well as the development of 76 properties.

In Text Promo Image

However, local residents have been left angered by the plans - which they say will cause further problems in the area.

Campaigner Rachel Stewart said: “I object to this development due to the number of houses that have been designated for this site.

“I realise that the old Belmont is brownfield and should be used before green space, which is fine.

“But myself and many other residents think shops should be included in the plans for this site, and the planning application for flats and shops at the Butcher’s Arms site should be refused and left as a car park or public space.

“I think the number of houses on this site is too many considering local people are struggling to get doctors appointments.

“There will be increasing congestion on local roads and the consequent over population of our village from other planned developments.

“This is the largest brownfield space in Monk Bretton so it should be put to the best use possible.

“The land once provided us a residential nursing home, therefore it would be much fairer the site still serves a community purpose.”

Another concerned resident, Keith Elvin, told the Chronicle he feels the site will cause ‘further global warming’.

“The junction of Westgate to Rotherham Road is very dangerous, as is the farm corner,” he added.

“The traffic we suffer is as a result of Burton Road being gridlocked.

“I bought my house in 1982 and this was a private estate.

“You just have to look at the lack of facilities when you compare it Mapplewell.

“The lack of recreation for all the children in the area and the failure to extend schools and doctor surgeries will also have an impact.

“Concrete replacing fields will also cause further global warming.

“When you look at the area compared to other estates you would think it was 50 years ago.”

Demolition work began last year, but was completed earlier this month with the site now empty.

The properties on the 1.81-hectare site which has been vacant since 2013 will be a mixture of two, three and four-bedroom houses.

A total of 61 neighbours have been made aware of the application and public consultation ends on September 6.