Barnsley were denied all three points by a late leveller from Port Vale.

Liam Kitching, again playing as a left wing-back, struck just before half-time but Ellis Harrison’s header, seven minutes from time, ensured a share of the spoils for the visitors.

Michael Duff was forced into one change from the tremendous display at Hillsborough which saw the Reds come away with a 2-0 win.

Josh Benson, who came off injured in that match, was replaced in the starting eleven by Herbie Kane.

With last Saturday’s scheduled game against Portsmouth postponed following the death of Queen Elizabeth II, Duff’s players played an in-house game with fringe players and new recruits getting a valuable workout.

After a well-observed minute’s silence and national anthem, Port Vale threatened first with Ademipo Odubeko forcing Brad Collins into a save with a stinging drive.

Luca Connell was the first to test opposing keeper Jack Stevens but the midfielder’s effort was within the grasp of the Vale stopper.

The best chance of the opening half hour fell to Vale when William Forrester volleyed a cross to the backpost and the unmarked Ben Garrity headed over the bar.

The visitors threatened again when Odubeko found space down the left hand side of the box, but the striker dragged his effort wide.

Devante Cole then troubled Stevens with a powerful shot on the turn which had to be pushed out for a corner.

Luke Thomas really should have put Barnsley in front from the next attack, but he blasted over after being found by Conor McCarthy’s cross.

Barnsley definitely finished the half in the ascendency and took the lead in the 44th minute with Kitching powering in a header from Jordan Williams’s cross.

Vale almost levelled around the hour mark with Harrison on the end of a slick move before dragging his effort just wide.

Kitching then led an attack down the other end which almost led to the second goal. Only a reaction save from Stevens denied Cole from close-range.

Vale were far from out of it and Harrison was unfortunate to see his powerful header fly just wide of the post.

Matty Wolfe was brought on for the final 20 minutes in a bid to shore up the Reds’ midfield.

But Barnsley could not hold out and Vale levelled in the 83rd minute with dangerman Harrison heading beyond Collins from Gavin Massey’s centre.

Josh Martin almost produced a moment of magic in added on time but his long-range effort was tipped over the bar by Stevens and then Collins produced a similar stunning save to deny Funso Ojo.

Barnsley (3-5-2): Collins; Cundy, Andersen, McCarthy, Williams, Connell, Kane (Wolfe, 70), Thomas (Phillips, 80), Kitching; Aitchison (Martin, 70), Cole (Norwood, 80).

Unused substitutes: Walton, Edwards, Tedic.

Port Vale (3-5-2): Stevens, Hall (Massey, 57), Smith, Forrester (Cass, 57); Worrall (Butterworth, 72), Garrity, Ojo, Pett (Politic, 72), Jones; Odubeko (Wilson, 57), Harrison.

Unused substitutes: Stone, Benning.

Referee: Thomas Parsons (Greater Manchester).

Attendance: 9,552 (597 from Port Vale).