BARNSLEY cemented their place in the play-offs after a 2-0 win against Cambridge at Oakwell.
Max Watters went from hero to villain within half an hour at Oakwell.
He scored Barnsley’s opener to make it 1-0, but was then sent off for a clear elbow on Lloyd Jones.
Jordan Williams made it 2-0 just after the hour mark and that’s how the game stayed.
Michael Duff’s side started the match in sixth, with Cambridge United sitting third bottom of the league.
Loanne ‘keeper Harry Isted starting between the sticks was the only change for Michael Duff’s side from their 1-1 draw away at Pompey.
He replaced Brad Collins in goal, who was also injured in the previous meeting between the two teams.
Two ex-Reds started for the Us - Paul Digby and George Williams.
It was a fast start from the Reds as Max Watters tapped in to an almost empty net.
U’s goalie Mitov couldn’t hold Cole’s shot and it fell to the Cardiff loanee who made no mistake.
It all came through a Liam Kitching cross-field ball to Cole - it was his second attempt at the pass and this time it paid off for Duff’s side.
The next 20 minutes were played mainly in the middle of the park as neither side could gain control.
It wasn’t unti 33 minutes in when either side had another half decent chance.
Jordan Wiliams had a half chance 25 yards from goal but his effort was sliced and wide.
The goalscoring hero Watters then turned the villain as he was sent off on 36 minutes for an elbow.
It was completely stupid and left the Reds with a lot to do for almost an hour of the game.
The away side came on strong but weren’t able to break through the Barnsley back line before the first half was up.
Jon Russell came on for Adam Phillips at half time, hoping to provide a bit of cover in front of the defence.
Liam Kitching went to left back as the Reds played a 4-3-2 formation.
James Norwood also came in in place of Nicky Cadden.
He was booked within seconds of coming on.
Brilliant defending from Jordan Williams kept the score 1-0.
Harvey Knibbs at the goal at his mercy but he struggled to get the ball from out underneath his feet - Williams then swept the ball up and cleared the danger.
Despite the Reds playing the game with ten men, they looked to control the ball better than their opponents - coming close to extending their lead on a couple of occasions.
They did double their lead on 63 minutes through a fantastic Williams volley.
He found the ball bouncing 25 yards out and cannoned it into the net in front of the Ponty end.
Harry Isted had very little to do until the 70th minute, but he made a fine save to deny Sam Smith when he was needed.
Duff made sure his team were defensively solid towards the end, bringing off Cole and Connell for two full backs - Cotter and Larkeche.
The referee added six minutes on at the end of the second half but it stayed 2-0 and Barnsley sit in 6th.