THE new market opened for business on Friday but it wasn’t the best of starts after a power cut plunged traders and shoppers into darkness who then had to be evacuated after ‘smoke’ was spotted.
Fortunately the smoke wasn’t from a fire but caused by exhaust fumes from a back-up generator that had kicked in after the power went off, which had affected large parts of Barnsley town centre.
According to Northern Powergrid some 2,000 businesses and homes in the S70 and S71 postcode areas were hit by the outage which happened at about 9.30am - an hour after the new market hall opened.
Read more in this weeks Barnsley Chronicle
Got a Story? - 01226 734262
New market has to be evacuated because of smoke
Greenacre parent lash out at special school’s handling of latest crisis Mum’s inquest set to conclude X Factor Holly hits out at online trolls Shoppers shocked by town centre dog attack Kids’ home plan set to be discussed by council Football club’s crisis deepens in new lockdown Officer’s court date set Town’s Covid rates broken down Athersley man handed 12-year prison sentence ‘Appalling’ state of free meals handed out to town’s children revealed