FIREFIGHTERS are currently on the scene of a fire started in a town centre Chinese restaurant.

The fire, believed to have started accidentally in the China Moon restaurant and takeaway on Peel Street, saw two crews from Barnsley station and one from Cudworth called at 1.10pm today (Monday October 28).

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the fire was extinguished within minutes of the firefighters’ arrival, and they were now in the process of clearing the building of smoke.

The spokesman added no injuries had been reported.