A MONK Bretton pub’s launched into a fundraising drive for a lifesaving defibrillator to be installed - after a regular’s heart stopped beating for 20 minutes.

The Full House team held a fundraising night earlier this month to raise funds for the piece of equipment and plan to continue their efforts until their estimated £3,000 target is reached - with £1,800 collected so far.

Local man John Wildsmith, 65, suffered a cardiac arrest in the pub during one of his regular visits last November and was saved by two other customers, who performed CPR.

Andy Wilson, who has a background in the armed forces and fire service, and Stephen Gordon, who trains others how to use CPR, were luckily nearby in the pub when John’s heart stopped beating.

The pair tried to resuscitate John for 20 minutes before emergency services arrived and shocked John’s heart back into action.

John’s wife Margaret Wildsmith, 63, said: “If it hadn’t have been for those two in the pub I don’t believe John would have made it.

“It went on for so long, 20 minutes, but they said afterwards that there was ‘no way they were giving up’.

“John’s just been so lucky.

“I’ve been speaking to Andy since and we’re planning on arranging a reunion when John is feeling up for it.”

Other than needing more medication and suffering some slight memory loss, Margaret said John is doing well considering he was also in a coma for five days following the cardiac arrest.

“I hope it doesn’t happen to anyone else but if it does, I think it will be reassuring having the equipment nearby.”

The first defibrillator ever installed in the village was in 2019 and is sited at Monk Bretton Methodist Chapel - which is an estimated 15-minute walk from the Full House - posing a substantial time delay if an emergency occurs.

It is hoped the defib will be situated on the side of the pub so that it’s easily accessible for Monk Bretton locals, who landlady Bridie Mayhock hopes never have to go through.

“One of our locals was taken poorly in the pub, he went into cardiac arrest,” she said.

“Luckily the two customers knew CPR - and John’s OK now - but it was very traumatic at the time.

“We just want to do something so that if this happens again in or near the pub, people know there’s a defibrillator here.”

Anyone wishing to donate towards the fund should contact the Full House directly.